OMT One Man's Trash...from Norman Leahy



Sunday, October 15, 2006 :::
 

"As I live and breathe"

The Oregonian ran a profile of my old boss, Howie Rich, on Friday. For the overwhelming majority of Virginians, the name means nothing. But to those who live in states where initiatives on spending caps and property rights are on the November ballot, Howie is a person of interest (and for some, a deeply conspiratorial, even cartoonish, interest).

I spoke with reporter Laura Oppenheimer at some length on what I remembered of Howie from the old term limits days. Her reporting may not soften the views of those who believe Howie is a dastardly interloper bent on destroying the fabric of their lives (such is their insecurity). But it gives me a far clearer picture of the man I once worked for.



::: posted by Norman Leahy at 10/15/2006 0 comments





_______________
_______________

"You know what the fellow said: In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they also produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love -- they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." -- Orson Welles, The Third Man

"The graveyards are full of indespensable men" -- Charles de Gaulle

"Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing. Well I say, hard cheese!" -- Montgomery Burns

"Don't pretend that you know me...cause I don't even know myself" -- The Who

Powered by Blogger